Friday, January 14, 2011

Eco-Quartier and Life in the Katimahouse

Salut! Last we left off I was going off for 9 interviews, that is far behind me now. Each interview was a little different, but all when well. It was a speed-dating style set of interviews, a buzzer would sound and we'd switch. The point is I found my soul-mate, Nicole. Okay, maybe not soul mate, but we certainly got along. She's the manager of Eco-Quartier NDG (NDG is Notre-Dame de Grace). OUr interview consisted of tales of dumpster diving and jokes between Nicoles. Thankfully she is a two 'k' Nikki, while I am a one 'k' Niki. If it weren't for this I probably wouldn't have been hired. So, yeah that's my way of saying I was hired with Eco-Quartier NDG! Yay! For those who don't want to search the blog to find the Eco-Quartier NDG, it's an environmentalist movement focusing on recycling.

After this was our last dinner with Pascal, our beloved chef, who will be missed. We did a short prayer too Katimagod. Which is the neutral god we made up so we can say grace without offending anyone. Our prayers to Katimagod (There's been about 4 so far) consisted of each person at the table saying one word. For example:

"Dear Katimagod we thank you for..."

"the"
"amazing"
"tasty"
"chicken"
"it"
"made"
"my"
"dreams"
and then some one made add something like "explode"

We have fun. The dinner was mashed potatoes, cripsy chicken legs, and steam carrots, so yummy. That was (and is) the great thing about Pascals cooking, it was simple dishes made brilliant.

That evening the house contracts were made. There are three house contracts, environmental, second language, and group living. The environmental contracted included things about shower time, turning of the lights, and ways to reduce the loads of dish water. The second language contract included, my idea, only French after 11:00pm, which is good for people who want to get some sleep. There furniture was also divided into was language to speak on each. I made some funky signs for the good of the group, we all agreed on the language so don't be offended.
 To pretty up the dent in the wall.
 Hugo the abominable snowman. Watch the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JlVqfC8-UI


 This one was defaced shortly after it became evident that the heater behind this chair provided a consistent smell of marijuana. Our neighbour below us seems to get stoned while doing the laundry, because all you can smell in that chair is pot and bounce drier sheets. I did not deface it.

The next day was my first day of work, cool! Now here's panic time. This is a map of the Montreal Metro.
So, to understand the magnitude of this, each of those stops is roughly 4 city blocks apart. I am at Monk station on the green line. The Ville-Ray group is a  significant walk from the far end of the blue line. McGill station on the green line is basically the heart of downtown. My work placement is far west Verdome station on the orange line. I'll paint a picture for you, walking to Monk station it's cold, take the green line, make sure you're going to Honore-Beaugard and not to Avignon, get off at Lionel-Groulex station to transfer on the the orange line, make sure you're going to Cote-Vertu, and not Henri-Bourassa, get off at Verdume, find either the 102, or 104 bus, ride that for 20 minutes, THERE'S THE DOLLARAMA, RING THE BELL, QUICK!!! Thankfully I made it there fine.

My first day of work consisted mostly of going door to door around the neighbourhood giving out free recycling bags. Now when I was at Micheals and I offered someone a free coupon is was common for people to turn it down, same with the free Katimavik pins. I guess recycling bags are different because no one said no! I enjoyed starting my ramble with "... and a free recylcing bag!" that's when they wake up and realize. "That's a nice bag, I could use that for my grocery shopping!" No matter what they're thinking, they take the bag." I had a savoury poutine lunch, namely because I left my PBJ sandwich at home. I think that was a positive mistake.

That evening was fun too, I got home a little late but there was a wonderful warm dinner waiting for me. Francois made an awesome stir-fry that was quickly gobbled up after a short prayer to Katimagod. That night we walked some stand up comedy on the project because we found out that Montreals famous "Just for Laughs" only exists in the summer.

This morning I woke up so I could get to work for 10, and I did, no trouble. I was excited to get to work because it's the grand opening of the Benny Farm Community Center. A little bit about the community. The apartments in the surrounding area were originally built for veteran returning from world war II.The buildings are now low income housing, mostly for immigrants working low paying jobs. Bored teenagers spray paint every surface visible turning the neighbourhood into a seemly 'dangerous' place. The addition of this community center is going to have a huge impact on the community. Instead of community to the YMCA the location will give them the convenience, and the time, to actually attend. The kids will have an option other than vandalism. I made it to the grand opening and I meet all the local big wigs, it was such a community project and really, everyone turned out. Just as I was about to leave, Billy, my pal from work, and I followed the Mayor of Montreal out to the pool. He shook my hand we talked and I even got my picture taken with, yes, the man himself, Gerald Tremblay. As a politics hound I was really pleased. Billy will send me the picture when he figures out how, and for now I'll put it up.

When I got back to work my day consists of pleasant little office projects. The I got the early bus and made it home before Tiffany and Landen, who were making dinner. So I got to witness the creation that was mac and cheese.


This is our Geo-party wall, my idea, were gonna decorate the whole wall with quotes and inside jokes and stuff, and when we go, we'll each take a couple.
 This is our group living poster. Enjoy.

2 comments:

  1. I love it!! You're right, you have given me a million things to worry about, but it's all worth it in the end because this sounds amzing! I believe I am looking at your art work decorating your new "home"! Thanks for sharing Niki!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done Niki! I was honestly worried about the transit, but once again, well done! It looks like you're having a wonderful time!

    By the way, your mentioning of "geo party" reminded me of this presentation recently released at IBM... basically, a computer, not connected to the internet, that can kick ass at jeopardy!

    http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/13/ibms-watson-supercomputer-destroys-all-humans-in-jeopardy-pract/

    It's the first video when you scroll down. Feel free to show it to your friends, this is a huge advancement in the way we think about computers!

    ReplyDelete