Sunday, September 4, 2011

Life with a Life

It's been over two months since I finished Katimavik, June 22nd, 2011. Now, it's come to my attention in several ways that now is the time for an update. After all, Katimavik gives you a "life" but it's up to you with what you do with it.

After My tearful goodbyes in Toronto, Kyle and I flew a long terrible flight home. I wanted to watch a movie to pass the time, but I didn't recognize any of the new releases. I settled on Chicken Run to pass the time, but even then I found myself looking out of the window, "Lakes ...Great lakes?", and even later "That could be Sioux Lookout!", and watching the prairies go by seemed endless. It would be really awkward to cry on this flight, yet I couldn't help the feeling that this plane was going in the wrong direction, I was leaving everything I love.

Thankfully, I was greeted with family and balloons on the other side, a welcome I didn't feel I deserve. Even the dog was there. All these lovely people so happy to see me, and all I wanted to do was go home, not Vancouver home, but Katimavik home.

The car ride was actually scary for me, I was coming into some major culture shock. The people, the lights, I recognized the streets, but I was disgusted with them, too many people, and there wasn't room for me. It didn't feel like home at all. I smiled briefly when we passed the ReStore which happened to be on Ontario street and Manitoba street (my joy being the two who worked there while we were in Montreal were Landen, from Ontario, and Tiffany, from Manitoba). We stopped in the traditional way at the White Spot near the airport, my mind was somewhere else and it was weird trying to explain everything to mum.

The old house was different. A lot had changed so subtly I couldn't even figure it out in my emotional haze. I felt so sad and so drained, I wanted to cry but I was all out of tears, tired from the flight, and disoriented with my new surroundings, this was hell.

Opening the door to my bedroom was sad, like looking at old photos. There were untouched Christmas gifts on the floor, empty and meaningless belongings everywhere, and the walls were covered in a mess of distracting photos. My bed itself looked worse than any Katimavik bed, there was hardly room in there for me.

My living space in Katimavik was simple, clean bed, all the belongs I brought, and a few photos and card on the walls. Now I was thrown into the world we aimed not to be on Katimavik, a world of excessive things, dirty stuff, and unimportant decorations. I was ashamed.

The first real dinner we had was another struggle for me. We were having a  meal the was pre-made and cooked in the oven, no fruit, no veggies, no grain, and no dairy, not even juice. I don't blame mum for this, how could I when she didn't know? But I grew accustom to home made culinary masterpieces, balanced healthy meals, and, you know, at least a salad!

That's what returning was, it was one of those nightmares where you see something no one else can see and you scream to warn them and you don't make a noise. So, my next mission was to make that change, to hold on to Katimavik life, and to finally start my work on competency 8!

I started doing the cooking as much as possible, the bread was a success. I constructed a vermicomposter that would make my Eco-quartier family proud. I donated two garbage bags of clothing, two garbage bags of stuffed animals, and several boxes of toys, all excessive items in my room. We cut the legs off my bunk bed and I continue to make my bed even today! I'm proud to say I haven't really been playing video games since I returned. I take my bike almost everywhere, and yes, I turn off the lights.

There was a bit of a lack of adventure though, we went from daily excitement to do-it-yourself entertainment. However, mum and her vacation time turned this into an impromptu trip to Las Vegas! Not exactly a "Katimavik" environment, but certainly an adventure. If that didn't calm my adventure itch my SALTS trip did. This was my fifth Salts trip since 2006 and I am pleased to say that in addition to completing my intermediate certificate, I also have now circumnavigated Vancouver Island! It was nice to see my sailing friends and be in a Katima-like environment.

The unavoidable hole in my heart was from the distance between my Katimavik family and myself. I didn't expect to see them as quickly as I did, but by July 20th I was picking up Andrew from YVR for his 10 day stay. We even had a chance to visit with Kyle for the afternoon. Seeing Andrew made Katimavik a little more real, as opposed to viewing it as an amazing dream and then dealing with the reality of waking up, it was real. Andrew was there, in my kitchen, making some curry. We had a blast.  And on the day Kyle was leaving for Montreal (to then go to Gatineau to see Jessica), him and I had the chance to pick up Cody from the airport. We picked up Cody, had lunch, and said goodbye to Kyle. Cody and I did everything there is to do in Vancouver for the next 9 days. Seeing the family again was the best thing that could've happened. The instant I turn 19, I'm going to become a chronic gambler, and each ticket I buy will be an investment into a Katimafamily reunion. I love them all so much.

On my horizon is the beginning of school, again, I'm enrolled at Capilano University for the Global Stewardship Program, a fairly unknown program which can be easily seen through the Katimavik website's section on education, because doing Katimavik gives you some credits in the course. I've already met a handful of Katimavik Alumni in the program, so some good can come of that.

I look back at my adventure with fond memories, and despite the rough return it was worth it, it was all worth it. When I hear people talk about how they thought about Katimavik and decided on school instead, I think "What a shame, you're really missing out." Which is of course what they think about me not going to school. But now I can enter school confidently, maturely, proudly, prepared, and with a life! This was the best decision in my life thus far, and thanks everyone who played a role in my Katimavik experience!

No comments:

Post a Comment